Amateur Radio License Exams for Technician, General and Extra will be given on Saturday only.
There will be only one (1) Amateur Radio exam session on Saturday between 10:00 AM and 12 Noon. YOU MUST BE IN THE ROOM NO LATER THAN 11:15 AM TO TAKE THE EXAM.
If you are coming to the Hamfest for a VE examination only, you are not required to purchase an admission ticket. If you plan on looking around at the Hamfest before or after the exam you must purchase a ticket. Tickets will be available at the VE session.
Walk ins are accepted.
You are required to provide either your FRN or Social Security Number on the 605 form and the exam answer sheets.Visit the ARRL or FCC for additional information and FAQ’s. As an option you may also file for an FRN number before taking your first Amateur Radio exam.
Test sessions will be conducted by examiners affiliated with the ARRL-VEC.
On exam day bring the following items:
- A legal photo ID (driver’s license, passport).
- When no photo ID is available, two forms of identification must be presented:
- non-photo ID/driver’s license (some states still have them)
- birth certificate (must have the appropriate seal)
- social security card
- library card
- utility bill, bank statement or other business correspondence that specifically names the person; or a postmarked envelope addressed to the person at his or her current mailing address as it appears on the Form 605
- Students may bring any of the above items and/or a school ID, minor’s work permit, report card, or a legal guardian may present a photo ID.
- Bring your Social Security Number (SSN) or your FCC issued Federal Registration Number (FRN). VECs are required by the FCC to submit either your SSN or your FRN with your license application form. If you prefer not to give your SSN at the exam session then you should register your SSN before exam day on the FCC’s Universal Licensing System (ULS). Once you have an FCC issued FRN you no longer need to use your SSN on the application. For instruction on how to register your SSN with the FCC and receive your FRN visit the FCC’s FAQ page and the FCC’s registration instructions page.
- If applicable, bring the original and a photocopy of your current amateur radio license and any Certificates of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCEs are valid for 365 days) you may hold from previous exam sessions. The photocopies will not be returned to you. Note: no copy machine is available at the Hamfest.
- Two #2 pencils with erasers and a pen.
- A calculator with the memory erased and formulas cleared is allowed. You may not bring any written notes or calculations into the exam session. Slide rules and logarithmic tables are acceptable as long as they are free of notes and formulas. Your cell phone must be silenced or turned off during the exam session and the phone’s calculator function may not be used. In addition, iPhones, iPads, Androids, smartphones, Blackberry devices and all similar electronic devices with a calculator capability may not be used.
- The current exam session fee of $15.00 cash or check made out to ARRL VEC.
For Special Accommodations please contact Duane, N4WDH, at 813-991-7160, or via ‘Ham license testing‘ on our contact form, at least two (2) weeks prior to the exam so all materials for your test are available.
FREE Online Practice Exams:
The Amateur Radio community has a long tradition of supporting licensing and education of new Amateurs or hams. The following exam practice aids have been developed by hams to support that effort and are shared freely with prospective licensees like you, and with other hams who want to upgrade to a license with more privileges. Check them out to find out which will be most useful to you!